Thursday, September 2, 2010

John of the Cross: although it is night


1. That eternal spring is hidden, / for I know well where it has its rise, / although it is night.

2. I do not know its origin, nor has it one, / but I know that every origin has come from it, / although it is night.

3. I know that nothing else is so beautiful, / and that the heavens and the earth drink there, / although it is night.

4. I know well that it is bottomless / and no one is able to cross it, / although it is night.

5. Its clarity is never darkened, / and I know that every light has come from it, / although it is night.

6. I know that its streams are so brimming / they water the lands of hell, the heavens, and earth, / although it is night.

7. I know well the stream that flows from this spring / is mighty in compass and power, / although it is night.

8. I know the stream proceeding from these two, / that neither of them in fact precedes it, / although it is night.

9. This eternal spring is hidden / in this living bread for our life's sake, / although it is night.

10. It is here calling out to creatures; / and they satisfy their thirst, although in darkness, / because it is night.

11. This living spring that I long for, / I see in this bread of life, / although it is night.




-John of the Cross : "Song of the soul that rejoices in knowing God by faith"




No comments:

Post a Comment